(Ref: http://www.bullying.org )
Bullying: You Are NOT Alone, It Is NOT Your Fault, You CAN DO Something About It
- Myth: “Bullying is just a stage, a normal part of life. I went through it my kids will too.” Fact: Bullying is not “normal” or socially acceptable behavior. We give bullies power by our acceptance of this behavior.
- Myth: “If I tell someone, it will just make it worse.” Fact: Research shows that bullying will stop when adults in authority and peers get involved.
- Myth: “Just stand up for yourself and hit them back” Fact: While there are some times when people can be forced to defend themselves, hitting back usually makes the bullying worse and increases the risk for serious physical harm.
- Myth: “Bullying is a school problem, the teachers should handle it” Fact: Bullying is a broader social problem that often happens outside of schools, on the street, at shopping centers, the local pool, summer camp and in the adult workplace.
- Myth: “People are born bullies” Fact: Bullying is a learned behavior and behaviors can be changed.
Additional anti-bullying resources:
- The Anti-Bullying and Teasing Book
- Say Something (good children’s story)
- Bully Free Classroom (strategies K-8)
- One (an exceptional story in its simplicity and artwork)
Reach and Teach featured article:
Bullied 11 year-old Commits Suicide